There are many historical ties both to the Palazzo and to the Marzocchi family.
Ferdinando II dè Medici: In a letter discovered inside the Bishopric archives one reads that during the Papal wars against the Grand Duchy of Tuscany (around 1644), the Mother Superior of the enclosure convent of San Benedetto
in Monterchi, asks Ferdinando II dè Medici asylum for her sisters “in suo palatio” (inside his residence) because it was within the city walls. It is certain also that the deputy of the Grand Duke lived inside a palace on the city square; it is therefore certainly the Palazzo Marzocchi, since it is the only one of distinguished manufacture. Further proof are the several coat of arms that decorate its interiors witnessing the presence of important people sent by the Grand Duke to direct military actions against the Pope and its allies.






Pietro Marzocchi (1882-1958)
Grandson of Simone, Pietro got his doctorate in chemistry in 1911 and opened one of the first pharmacies in Arezzo (still open in Corso Italia). After World War II because of the loss of his Arezzo house during a bomb raid, he took refuge in the Palazzo di Monterchi, where he stayed until his death dedicated solely to his research.
Bernardo Marzocchi (1669-1751)
Descendant from a Sicilian family moved to Tuscany around 1600, was a rather rich and respected man for building a spinning mill that gave employment to many local families. He became important enough to earn the title of “Civis Aretinus” (Citizen of Arezzo). His bust is still visible inside the church of Santa Firmina in Arezzo. His son, Domenico, continued in the father’s footsteps and was buried underneath the central nave of the church of Sant’Agostino as was the habit for the most famous families.
Simone Marzocchi (1805-1865)
Simone, surgical doctor, follower of Mazzini, fought at Curtatone during the Italian Risorgimento and earned a medal for his valour. He became owner of the Palazzo di Monterchi when he married a noble woman who brought it as her dowry.